Sign In

3.12 Minor Parties and Independents

Text Size a a a Print Print this page

There are political parties which do not have sufficient elected Members of Parliament to form a Government or which are not in coalition with the Government or Opposition parties.  These parties are known as the ‘minor parties’.  They will often represent special interest groups, such as those interested in the preservation of the natural environment.  In recent years, minor parties have been represented in the Legislative Council, where the voting system favours the election of representatives from minority groups.

Occasionally, persons independent of any political party will be elected to Parliament.  Sometimes, Members of Parliament who belonged to a political party when elected will resign from their party and remain in Parliament.  These Members of Parliament are known as ‘Independents’ and as the name suggests they will act independently of the political parties represented in the Parliament. 


Acknowledgement of Country

The Government of Western Australia acknowledges the traditional custodians throughout Western Australia and their continuing connection to the land, waters and community. We pay our respects to all members of the Aboriginal communities and their cultures; and to Elders both past and present.